Saturday, August 22, 2009

WHERE HAVE ALL MY OLIVE TREES GONE, LONG TIME PASSING...?

Where have all my olive trees gone,
Long time passing,
Where have all my olive trees gone,
Long time ago,
Where have all my olive trees gone,
Felled by the Council every one,
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Well, we are not going to sue the Council, in fact we had agreed to giving them the piece of land to extend the grave yard. We did, however ask them not to do anything before we had signed a paper to that effect so that we could at least chop our own trees down and take the wood for firewood.

Mr Mayor, who I will struggle to vote for when the time comes, did not think it necessary and simply instructed his men to begin work, fell the trees and take the wood away. Our meeting today was not heated but I did ask for compensation. In the end we settled for a portion of the land to remain ours as a grave plot in exchange for the lost trees.

Now, as I was brought up to give with a joyful heart, I do not begrudge the donation of a small plot of land for the community in its afterlife and looking on the bright side (I think), if I do make it into the Vrahassi graveyard then my bones should rest in peace. Unless of course, they lied...

No comments: