Wednesday, March 25, 2009

INDEPENDENCE DAY!

There was a bit of activity in the centre of Vrahassi today when dignitaries and villagers gathered around the memorial to say a prayer and sing the National Anthem. It was all over very quickly and then the street went back to it's quiet self.

Then it was practice time for me on the piano before Gillian and John arrived to play a little chamber music. My music day didn't end there. Next came my Cello lesson and then Gillian and I went to Agios Nikoloas to the house of another violinist with whom we ran through a couple of pieces. It was such an enjoyable day of music making. Gillian suggested that we should be call 'Florence Foster Jenkins' (and if you don't know who she was I suggest you look her up on google).

Anyway we are all ready for the Soiree on Saturday night. Don't forget to bring a candle for Earth Hour, and if you need a torch for your poetry reading bring that too.

Yesterday's art class went well - picture tomorrow. (Bet you can't wait). Next week we are back to figure drawing. Russel is very patient with us and I can't believe that he has got me using small paint brushes.

When David and I went to the shop today, we were asked about our Internet Connection. Several locals now want the same and are being told (exactly as we were) that there are no lines for Internet to Vrahassi. I advised them not to take 'no' for an answer. This is not a third world country, we are not in the back of beyond, what is the problem with providing Internet services to Vrahassi? It seems crazy in this day and age. If only for the children of the village, something should be done to make sure that they are not left behind in the matter of Internet Access.

There that is my little sound off for the day - now it's time for a cup of hot chocolate and a little look at my Greek dictionary before class tomorrow.

Byeeeee! Jane x

No comments: