Friday, February 11, 2011


By the sixth day I had bonded with my companions on the ward, and their relatives. The old village woman, who had nearly been battered to death on her first night, had a serious heart problem and was failing. She no longer called for help; her niece was quietly attentive, and her bed had been placed by the door. The lady next to me had been relieved of her pain, and was sitting up in bed, and my balance had returned. An optician had been brought to my bedside to give me a full examination of my eyes. He found nothing wrong. All that was left was for me to have an M.R.I. scan.

There being no M.R.I. facility at the hospital, I was told that I would have to visit a private clinic in Heraklion, where I would have to pay for the test. Well, when you think you may have something wrong with your brain money doesn’t come in to it, but I did secretly hope that we would not have to sell the car to pay for it. So, I was discharged from the hospital with a piece of paper to take to the clinic where an appointment had been made for 10.30 a.m. that day. After three weeks I could finally walk in a straight line and stand up with my eyes closed. I had the scan, it cost 235 euro. I should add, it was a painless experience which took about ten minutes (for anyone worried about having this test, don’t, but do expect loud banging noises, strange whirring sounds and a little head shake while in the machine. And best to keep your eyes closed to avoid any feelings of claustrophobia). I returned to Heraklion four days later for the results. Yes, I do have a brain, and no, there is nothing seriously wrong with it.

I am very grateful for the professional care I received at Agios Nikolaos Hospital. I know that lots of people sent good wishes and energy which helped speed my recovery, and the people who came to see me brightened my days and kept my taste buds on track with chocolate, fruit, and apple pie and custard, which without doubt was a life saver. David, of course, was the best nurse of all, never failing to be there for me.

I have to say that I have been left with a little phobia of vacuum cleaners, but I dare say I will get over it. I have lost a month of active life, no cello practice, no writing, and no Greek homework, but at least I’m here to tell the tale. Let the party continue!

Love to all, Jane x
To read about my hospital experience from the beginning please see previous blog entries.

No comments: