Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ancestry Hunting in Yorkshire

Hello Blogwatchers,

I am sorry for my absence, but have been rather busy enjoying myself with my family. Plus the fact that I have only just been able to get on line, not having a super phone, an i-pad, laptop or any other internet connection. But now all that has changed since my son has just opened a Laptop Repair Centre, and I was his first customer. I feel almost a complete woman! The next thing is to find a job. It is not too easy to do that as a) I shall draw my old age pension in November, and b) there are not so many jobs around Beckenham, where I am living. What a bummer! But I have located the local music center, and come September I hope to get involved with what I can there.

I am enjoying being in England, and the weather has been lovely. OK it is cooler than Crete, but hey, that is not such a bad thing during August, is it?

Yesterday I did a bit of Ancestry hunting in Monk Breton, a little village near to where my son lives in Yorkshire. My mother was born there and I went to trace my roots. Her name was Brenda Royston and she was born in 1925. My great auntie Dorothy (nee Clarke) was my nannie's sister, and she married a man called Jim Richardson. His father, I was told was once the Mayor of Barnsley, so you can understand how surprised I was, when walking around the churchyard in Monk Breton, I found the grave of a Alderman, Thomas William Richardson, born in 1888, who was Mayor of Barnsley in 1943-44. Was this my great aunt's father in law? I am now encouraged in my quest to find a little family history, and see if I can locate any more distant relatives.

So, you see I am keeping quite busy. Tomorrow I am going to Manchester to visit my sister, and I will return to London on Wednesday. Hopefully, I will be able to afford another trip north before too long, to visit friends. And, if you are reading this, gang, I will  send you an e-mail later.

How wonderful it is to have children who love you, feed you, and sort you out with a lap top!

So, have a good Sunday everyone, I don't have a camera yet but working on it, so photos later.
Love and best wishes to all,
Jane x

No comments: